Monday, November 3, 2008

back from Africa...

GYE NYAME
"Except for God"
symbol of supremacy of God


Just returned from Ghana last night. Trip was awesome!! I was greeted very warmly by certain people who remembered me from the last trip and that meant more to me than any drum beating dance ceremony. It was like coming home. I think I had a very positive effect upon the community and the school children. Everything I did was fitting in quite well with some of the programs in place and served to reinforce the hygiene/handwashing teaching that had been started by Ghana Education Service in association with UNICEF/Danida/etc. I also brought back pictures and information stats on 5 children who would really benefit from sponsorship. I have been there and seen these kids in their environment. They are real and they do need help. Basically, for $20 a month, the child would recieve a stipend that would allow him or her one meal a day, school supplies (outside of the textbooks provided) and a uniform. Some of them come in practically wearing rags. This village is quite poor and most of the parents are illiterate. The only hope for improving their lot is through the education and support of the children. Some of these kids have no one to support them properly and they have no hope for a different or better future than the life they are already leading. I really hope to get them some sponsors.




All of these children work before and after school, leaving little time for studies. Their parents/guardians cannot understand that the few peswas the children are earning now is costing them their future. They need guidance, education and support to help break the chains of illiteracy and poverty. Please feel free to contact me or go to www.adfatorkor.org for more information.















No comments: