Thursday, June 12, 2008

More on My African Adventure – June 2008

I am afraid I was not able to keep up with blogging as I wanted to but I do need to make special mention of all those who helped to make my trip a success.
I had solicited donations of medical supplies and was able to acquire almost $2000 worth. I had 4 large containers full of sterile dressing materials, sutures, wound care items, single use thermometers, stethoscopes, blood pressure meters, a Johnson & Johnson Medical Mission Pack which was full of over the counter meds and more. My friend Frankie Flynn purchased an autoclave/sterilizer which was on the clinic's wish list. My co-workers @ Jacobi Hospital collected $ to purchase a baby scale and make a cash donation. Stephanie Reynolds, NP was most generous and provided me with several useful nursing texts. Ms. Livermore provided a CPR book and instructional DVD. Ms. Hannah Nelson and Mr. Peter Lucey helped make it possible for me to get some additional items. Gregg Tossi deserves special thanks.

In addition to private individuals, several companies played a significant role in providing me with supplies to bring with me. 3M/Littmann Stethoscopes was very generous with providing a good number of quality stethoscopes. 3M Health Care, Nexcare, Medical Indicators, Bayer, Genentech were also generous in providing items for me to take. My apologies to anyone I may have forgotten. Please know that all you did was most appreciated by me as well as by those who were the recipients. The nurse and health care workers were thrilled with everything, especially the stethoscopes. I have always considered my stethoscope to be a personal piece of equipment and part of my uniform, but this idea was foreign to them. They never dreamed of having a quality stethoscope of their own. The healthcare workers appeared to stand taller when they were given their own to keep. The nurse was also very happy with the pocket protector loaded with pens, penlight & bandage scissors. It was nice to be able to do something to foster a sense of importance and ownership in the healthcare workers at the clinic. Shown here is Nurse Suzzy and one of her aides, Eric standing in the entrance to the clinic. I really enjoyed the time spent with them. Eric proclaimed himself to be my "son in Ghana" and would carry my bag whenever we went out into the community. However, I did promise the bag would be left for Joyce, the other healthcare worker, when I left Atokor. It was a Jacobi/NBHN tote bag and they all had their eyes on it.

I have been in communication with my friends in Ghana and ADF. I hope to be able to return in the fall. The nurse and I would like to put together some special educational outreach programs. Possibly something to coincide with the annual beach and community clean up day in late September. In the meantime, I would invite anyone reading this and interested in learning more to visit ADF's website at www.adfatorkor.org. ADF's focus on providing a solid infrastructure for the village to develop and progress. This includes a strong emphasis on healthcare and education. There is so much work to do and every little bit helps.

No comments: