Wednesday, February 27, 2008

This is a test and only a test...



...if this were an actual life, you would have been provided with further instructions.


So here goes. My test run as it were in setting up a blog. This is in preparation for the my trip of a lifetime (thus far) as I am going to Ghana as a healthcare volunteer. My father is very concerned that I keep an accurate record of all that takes place up to and during that event. So, this one's for you Dad!

We are only passing through... thoughts on life, great song (Earl Skaggs & friends, reading by the late, great Johnny Cash who made my life miserable with his hit song, "A Boy Named Sue" but I digress), a philosphy on life. We are only passing through so lets do some good along the way. I have travelled a bit - not really into the typical, all inclusive resort, tourist thing. I like to sample the real life, real environment of the places and people I visit. When in Jamaica, I was fortunate enough to make some friends who showed me both sides of that coin. Now, when I go, I have someplace I love to stay (yardie style) and be at home, spending my time with regular folks and getting a taste of what I call Paradise. But I can appreciate the hardships that go along with that life. Politics, economy, realities of the living situation of many folks - it is not the idyllic island paradise that the tourists see. But life is good and so many of the people I met proved to me that money is not everything when it comes to living well and being happy - however, it doesn't hurt to have some either. Jennifer James and her family @ Greenleaf Cabins made me feel very much at home - I recommend them to anyone that wants to visit Negril and live simple. Nothing is more relaxing to me than the warm tropical climate, clear skies and beautiful beaches of Jamaica. I will be going back again.
Now I am passing through into a different phase of my travel life. I am currently preparing for a trip to Ghana, not as a tourist but to go as a healthcare volunteer and try to do some good. This is something that I have wanted to do for some time now, but this particular opportunity just fell right into my lap like a gift too good to let pass.

No comments: